Last Updated on
6 to 8 weeks before:
- Review the budget for the party
- Make a list of people planning to invite
- Plan menu
- Plan colors for the event and decorations needs
5 weeks before:
- Check serving dishes, linens, and silverware or paper supplies you will need.
- Add needed items to shopping list
- Reserve any needed rental equipment: chairs, punch bowls, serving dishes, etc. *
- Buy or make invitations.
- Review budget; record the items purchased.
- Plan decorations and add needed items to the shopping list. Make a project page for decorations you are planning to make yourself.
- Add project supplies to shopping list
4 weeks before:
- Send invitations
- Plan centerpieces–Order or make a project page if making your own.*
- Add needed supplies to shopping list
- Plan games, activities, prizes and favors
- Plan clothing you are going to wear
- Reserve rooms for out of town quests*
- Confirm any reservations, catered food ordered, or rental equipment requests you have made for the party
- Pay fees
- Continue to work on homemade decorations, favors, etc.
- Review menu lists for missing items–coffee, ice, sugar, nuts, etc.
3 weeks before:
- Wash and press linen*
- Polish silverware–if not using plastic
- Clean candlesticks*
- With menu in hand, identify serving bowls you are going to use*
- Purchase or borrow any needed items
- Plan table settings: place cards, napkin rings, napkins*
- Continue working on homemade decorations, favors, etc.
- Review budget: record the items you purchased
- Baked treats*
- Place dry ingredients in a plastic bag and tape recipe to the outside.
2 weeks before:
- Create a cooking schedule. Note cooking times of planned dishes and mark a time each dish needs to be started. Post on bulletin board or refrigerator.
- Review RSVPs. Make place cards.*
- Continue working on home-made decorations, favors, etc.
- Review budget: record items you purchased
- Wash, press, polish clothing you are going to wear
- Make a party schedule: start time, the order of games, time meal to be served, etc.
- Purchase film, batteries, etc.
1 week before:
- Wash plates, silverware, and bowls you are planning to use.
- Bake cookies etc.
- On a slip of paper write the name of a dish you are going to serve and time needs to be started place in serving bowl with
- measured dry ingredients in a plastic bag
- serving bowl
- recipe card
- Organize games and review instructions
- Complete homemade decorations, favors, etc.
- Review budget: records items you purchased
- Wrap gifts
- Clean house
- Chop vegetables and prepare salads and soups that can be made ahead*
- Set table*
- Decorate if permitted
- Purchase ice
- Make vegetable and dessert plates. Refrigerate. *
- Pick up ordered food
- Pick up rental equipment and floral arrangements*
- Review party schedule and follow
- Follow cooking schedule*
- Prepare cameras and recorders
- Relax and enjoy it!
*You may not need to do all the items on the list.
Thank you so much for reading. If you enjoyed this blog post, please give it a share!
Please share any additional ideas in the comments below.