Pumpkins are a part of Halloween activities. From carving to painting they delight the child in all of us. How to choose the perfect carving pumpkin.
- Choose one that is relatively smooth without thick ridges–these are easier to carve.
- Avoid pumpkins with soft spots, signs of mildew, or worm holes
- Look for stems that are not loose or appears to have signs of rotting.
- A dark orange color indicates it is ripe. It will also be harder to cut. Decide which is more important to you.
- Knock on the pumpkin. A hollow sound shows it is ripe.
Never move a pumpkin by holding on to the stem.
Don’t worry about your pumpkin having an “ugly” side. If the rest of the pumpkin is perfect, you can turn the side away from view. A flat side may not be pretty, but makes an excellent surface for carving. In the dark, no one will see the flaws.
Do you have more tips on how to pick pumpkins? Please tell us below in the comments.
Thank you so much for reading. If you enjoyed this blog post, please give it a share!