Poaching Temperature is 160° F to 180° F
Foods that are Poached
Cooking Tips for Poaching Foods:
Poaching Eggs Tips
- Quality eggs work best for poaching. Choose at least Grade A.
- Use fresh eggs.
- Break an egg onto a plate and then slide it off into the water.
- Don’t salt the water as it interferes with coagulation.
- Place the egg in a boiling bag. This controls the spreading of the egg.
- You can always use a knife to cut off the raggedy ends.
Poaching Fruits Tips
- Pears, apples, grapes, cherries and peaches can be poached.
- Don’t poach in water. Use juice, wine, etc.
- Cover the fruit with liquid
- The fruit will need to be turned once or twice while cooking.
- Starchy fruits are best if boiled.
Poaching Fish Tips
- Poach for 5 to 7 minutes for each inch of thickness or until internal temperature is 145°.Water temperature depends on the size of fish you are poaching.
- For small filets poach in hot water for a quick cook.
- McGee recommends putting medium size fillets briefly in hot water than pouring cool liquid over and finish cooking at poaching temp. This kills microbes on the skin.
- Water, stock, wine, and oil can be used as the liquid.
Jill Norman,The Cook’s Book,(New York;D K Publishing,2005).
Mark Bittman,How to Cook Everything,(Hoboken, New Jersey;John Wiley & Sons, Inc.,2008).
Harold McGee,On Food and Cooking,(New York;Scribner).